Search for subsidies and support

Page Number: 74

Welfare Pension (Survivor's Welfare Pension)

Getting money

When a person enrolled the Employees' Pension Plan (including those enrolled in a Mutual Aid association for a period of time) dies, this pension is paid to surviving family members, such as a spouse who was 55 years old or older at the time of death, or dependents who were supported by the person. If a survivor also meets the requirements for receiving the Survivor's Basic Pension, this pension will also be paid.
*Effective October 1, 2015, the employee pension system, which was previously divided into the Employees' Pension and the Mutual Aid Pension, were merged into the Employees' Pension Plan under the Law for Unification of Employee Pensions.

Payment Requirements

In principle, one of the following must apply:

  1. When a person who was enrolled in the Employees' Pension Plan dies.
  2. When a retired person who was enrolled in the Employees' Pension Plan dies within five years from the initial diagnosis date of an illness or injury that first occurred while the person was employed.
  3. When a person receiving or eligible for a Disability Welfare Pension (Level 1 or 2) dies.
  4. When a person who has been eligible to receive an old-age welfare pension for 25 years or more dies.

*In cases (1) and (2) above, the applicant must have paid insurance premiums or received exemption from these premiums for at least two-thirds of the enrollment period, up to two months before the month of death, or must not have failed to pay insurance premiums in the last year, up to two months before the month of death. For more information, please contact the offices below.

Contact Information
Jurisdiction Name Address  Telephone Number
Higashi Ward Higashi Fukuoka Pension Office 3-12-32 Maidashi, Higashi-ku

Nenkin Dial (dedicated pension telephone service)


Hakata Ward Hakata Pension Office 3-14-1 Hakata-eki Higashi, Hakata-ku
Chuo Ward Naka Fukuoka Pension Office 2-8-25 Otemon, Chuo-ku
Minami Ward Minami Fukuoka Pension Office 3-1-27 Shiobara, Minami-ku
Jonan, Sawara, and Nishi Wards Nishi Fukuoka Pension Office 1-3-7 Uchihama, Nishi-ku

If dialing from a phone starting with 050, please call 03-6700-1165.

Department: National Pension System Desk in the Pension Section of office